Thursday, July 26, 2018
So you signed up for Pickleball this Fall and think you’re the real ‘dill even though you’ve never taken a swing at that famous green whiffle ball? Maybe you are, maybe you’re aren’t. I don’t know you, so I won’t judge. If you are new to this game, here are a few tips and tricks from the Pickleball pros themselves (not from me… if you’ve ever seen me play, you’d know why):
- There’s no need for a fancy serve, just serve deep.
- When returning a serve, hit it deep back to the server.
- Hit to open areas or gaps between your opponents.
- Get to the net as fast as possible.
- Keep your opponents away from the kitchen for as long as possible (hit it deep).
- Instead of lobbing the ball, try a soft shot that arcs the highest on your side of the net and lands softly in your opponent’s kitchen.
- Play it safe; consistency leads to unforced errors by the other team.
- Don’t try and play with power. The best players are those with control, not those who can smash hard.
Remember, there’s never a ‘dill moment in Pickleball. This game may be low-impact, but it’s high-energy, so keep your feet moving!
Have fun out there.