What is a Default?
A default occurs when, at the scheduled game start time, a team has fewer than the minimum amount of required players and an official game cannot be played.
If a team chooses to leave early and quit the game for any reason, including a lack of players, the team will also be subject to the default rules. The ESSC reserves the right to charge a default fee, conduct sportsmanship investigations and alter scores, standings or spirit points, as necessary when games are abandoned.
Please note that only the ESSC office can cancel games. Teams who contact the office prior to their game to advise that they are unable to meet the minimum roster requirement are still subject to the default fee, regardless of having provided notice to the office and/or opposing team.
How to Avoid a Default
Teams can avoid a default by:
- Sending a sub request through MyESSC.
- Beefing up your roster with spares. There are no limits to the number of people a full team can invite to join the team's roster.
- Utilizing free resources like Facebook Chat and WhatsApp to organize and confirm player attendance.
- The ESSC office team is also available to assist teams and answer any questions.
What Happens when a Team Defaults?
Before the start of the game, the opposing captain must make the choice to:
(a) Enforce the default fee and mercy score; or
(b) Waive the default fee and enforce the mercy score; or
(c) Waive the default fee and play a regular game, not enforcing the mercy score.
- In scenario (a) and (b) above, teams are welcome to use the time slot to play a fun game. However, the playing of a fun game does not alter the results of either scenario (a) or scenario (b).
- In all above scenarios, the team being defaulted against is responsible for stating (to the GC, EC or directly to the league when reporting scores) whether or not they would like to charge or waive the fee.
- If the fee is enforced, the defaulting team will receive negative spirit points and will be required to pay the default fee before the next game. The captain will receive an email from the ESSC with directions on how to pay the default.
- The ESSC does not profit from the collection of default fees; the fee is refunded directly back to the team defaulted against. Teams that are defaulted against will be refunded the entire default fee applicable to that game. The refund will be processed onto the card used to register the team.
Individual Teams and Defaults:
Individuals teams are responsible for avoiding defaults by informing their teammates when/if they can't attend a game so that a replacement player can be found. However, Individuals teams are not charged default fees by the ESSC.
When Individuals teams are defaulted against, the team is eligible for a pub gift card which is redeemable at the Season End Party. Individuals teams are required to confirm attendance at the party in advance, so that the ESSC may purchase the gift card from the pub.
Default Fees, Scores, and Minimum Roster Requirements
|League||Default Fee||Default Score||Minimum Players to Avoid
Default (Inc. Goalie)
|Commonwealth Turf Soccer||$ 130||0 - 7||4 ( 1 Female )|
|Edmonton Soccer Centre Boarded Soccer||$ 130||0 - 7||4 ( 1 Female )|
|Edmonton Soccer Dome Turf Soccer||$ 130||0 - 7||4 ( 1 Female )|
|Foote Field Turf Soccer||$ 130||0 - 7||4 ( 1 Female )|
|Millennium Place Boarded Soccer||$ 130||0 - 7||4 ( 1 Female )|
|Phillet Centre Turf Soccer||$ 130||0 - 7||4 ( 1 Female )|
|Turf Training Centre||$ 130||0 - 7||4 (1 Female)|
|Turf / Outdoor Soccer Split||$ 110||0 - 7||4 ( 1 Female )|
*Female goalies do not count towards the female minimum.
Special Events and Circumstances
On a case by case basis, the ESSC will work with teams in advance to re-schedule games due to special extenuating circumstances. However, no games will be cancelled due to professional sporting events, festivals or commitments that occur during the course of a regularly scheduled game.
If the default fee has not been paid before the team’s next game the following will happen:
- The score(s) of the next game(s) will be changed by the ESSC to reflect a default loss. The opponents will receive the actual score of that game, not a default win.
- The team will receive a ‘0’ sportsmanship rating from the ESSC.
- This policy will apply each week until the default fee is paid. Scores will not be reverted back to the original result even after the fee has been paid.
Note: Following two consecutive weeks of having an unpaid default, the ESSC reserves the right to remove a team from the schedule without a refund. At that time, the team will be blacklisted and will not be allowed to register for future ESSC leagues and/or tournaments, until the default fee is paid.