All teams are required to have 6 players on the court at all times, with a minimum of 2 females. There is no limit to team roster size.
- Intermediate Plus
All teams are guaranteed at least 4 matches.
Schedule & Times
The full tournament schedule will be sent to Team Captains and Individual Teams no later than 5:00pm, the Thursday prior to the tournament. This will include official arrival and end times.
Although an Event Coordinator will be on-site to keep the tournament running smoothly, ESSC Tournaments are self-officiated, so each team must make their own calls. Each team is responsible for reporting their score after each game is played.
The ESSC depends on volunteers called Event Coordinators (ECs) to help facilitate Volleyball Tournaments. These ECs play a huge role in ensuring that all players have the best experience possible at each tournament.
Event Coordinators (ECs) are responsible for:
- Picking up the equipment
- Coordinating net set-up
- Sharing pre-tournament announcements
- Managing matches
- Completing standings prior to playoffs
- Returning equipment and reporting results to the ESSC office
Free Tournament Play - Being an EC for the ESSC has its perks!
Volunteering to be an EC is easy and can be done in either of the following ways:
- When registering for a Volleyball Tournament, simply check off the ‘I want to EC’ option on the registration form.
- Call or email Tiona at the ESSC Office:
- Phone: 780-429-4263
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
After the Tournament, there will be an official After-Party where teams can enjoy exclusive ESSC food and drink specials, can enter to win door prizes, and compete in pub games. Also, each championship team will receive a set of champ shirts and all MVPs will receive their medals.
Unfortunately, there are many instances in Alberta when the weather is not ideal and/or road conditions are poor: the ESSC will not cancel Indoor Tournaments due to poor weather or road conditions.
Teams are placed into a tournament or event on a first-paid, first-served basis. The ESSC will attempt to ensure that all teams and players get placed into the option of their choice. It is not uncommon to have tournaments and events sell out, so registering early is recommended. If players/teams cannot be placed, a full refund will be issued. The ESSC reserves the right to move teams from one division to another. This often happens with little notice once registration is closed, divisions are being finalized and schedules are being built. The ESSC makes every attempt to place teams in divisions that are most appropriate by evaluating past standings and assessing other teams within each division. Team rosters do change from season to season, however, new player information is not used as a metric for gauging the skill level of each team as a whole; placement is based on the success of a team/captain’s most recent season. Teams may be moved for a number of reasons:
- The most qualified teams may be moved to fill spots in a division with lower registration numbers than the one they have registered in. For example: If there are 12 teams in Recreational and 4 teams in Recreational Plus, the 4 teams with the best prior records may be moved to the Recreational Plus division to create balanced leagues at 8 teams each.
- Some teams register below their ability. If a team has recently done very well in a league or tournament or has won a championship in either, they should register in a higher division when available. If they do not, the ESSC will correct this by moving the team to the appropriate division.
- If there is a large number of registrations for a particular division, it may be split into subdivisions (eg. Recreational A, Recreational B). Occasionally, large groups of teams will be placed into new divisions as a form of subdividing. For example: If 24 teams register in the Recreational league, and there are no registrations at other skill levels, the teams may be subdivided into 8 teams in Intermediate, 8 teams in Recreational Plus and 8 teams in Recreational based on their previous standings with The Club.
All teams that get moved into a different division or get placed into a lettered division will be playing with the same teams they would have been placed with regardless of division name or letter.