- Teams/Groups/Individuals are expected to read the division descriptions and place themselves in the most appropriate division. If players are unsure of which division to register for, they are welcome to contact the office for further clarification or advice.
- The ESSC Division offerings are based on the experience and skill level of a team - not on a team's competitive behaviour. All ESSC players and teams are expected to play with a ‘fun-first, winning-second’ attitude regardless of their division.
- The ESSC reserves the right to move any team up or down a division (regardless of where they registered) based on a team's past results. The ESSC gathers statistics on all registered teams each season, and strives to align the divisions as fairly as possible.
- The ESSC reserves the right to move any team up or down a division (regardless of where they registered) based on total registration numbers. The ESSC rarely runs odd numbered divisions, or divisions with a low number of teams, so in these cases division realignment is necessary.
- If the ESSC feels that a division has a clear skill discrepancy during the regular season, teams may be moved up or down a division mid-season, or in some cases a division will be split come playoff time to allow for multiple Championships.
- For certain sports, when possible, the ESSC incorporates a seeding round as part of the regular season schedule. In these cases, divisions will be re-aligned and standings reset after the completion of the seeding round. For 16 Week Leagues that incorporate a seeding round, standings will not always be reset after the completion of the seeding round, but division realignment will still occur.
This division will feature teams that may have a couple of skilled players, but many inexperienced players as well. If several of the players are experienced in the sport or are quite competitive in nature, the team should move up to a higher level. Teams in this division must have a “fun first” approach to every game. In this division, sportsmanship ratings will have a more direct impact on each team's standings than in higher divisions.
This division is for slightly more experienced and successful teams. Players can shoot, dribble and pass with accuracy, and the team is looking for more of a challenge than the Recreational level. Not all players in this division are highly skilled; but on average teams are more competitive than the Recreation level and have a few players who are experienced in the sport.
This division is for teams that have more experience than the average team in Recreational Plus. Intermediate teams are looking for a good challenge each night and most players on the team have experience playing Basketball and are solid in the fundamentals. Teams typically have a few strong players on the roster and rarely have players who are new to the sport.