- Teams/Groups/Individuals are expected to read the division descriptions and place themselves in the most appropriate division. If players are unsure of which division to register for, they are welcome to contact the office for further clarification or advice.
- The ESSC Division offerings are based on the experience and skill level of a team - not on a team's competitive behaviour. All ESSC players and teams are expected to play with a ‘fun-first, winning-second’ attitude regardless of their division.
- The ESSC reserves the right to move any team up or down a division (regardless of where they registered) based on a team's past results. The ESSC gathers statistics on all registered teams each season, and strives to align the divisions as fairly as possible.
- The ESSC reserves the right to move any team up or down a division (regardless of where they registered) based on total registration numbers. The ESSC rarely runs odd numbered divisions, or divisions with a low number of teams, so in these cases division realignment is necessary.
- If the ESSC feels that a division has a clear skill discrepancy during the regular season, teams may be moved up or down a division mid-season, or in some cases a division will be split come playoff time to allow for multiple Championships.
- For certain sports, when possible, the ESSC incorporates a seeding round as part of the regular season schedule. In these cases, divisions will be re-aligned and standings reset after the completion of the seeding round. For 16 Week Leagues that incorporate a seeding round, standings will not always be reset after the completion of the seeding round, but division realignment will still occur.
This division will feature teams that may have some skilled players, but also many inexperienced players. Teams in this division must have a “fun first” approach to every game. Players and teams in the Recreational division are not expected to be highly skilled in throwing and catching of the disc and generally do not run any sort of set plays. In this division, sportsmanship ratings will have a more direct impact on each team's standings than in higher divisions.
This division is for more experienced players and teams. Players can throw and catch the disc at a higher skill level than the Recreational division and might run some set plays. Teams in this division are looking for more of a challenge than the Recreational level and have generally played in an Ultimate League or Tournament before. Not all players in Recreational Plus are experienced or highly skilled; but teams generally have a few players who are solid in the fundamentals of the game.