Most players on the team typically have some experience playing volleyball, although a few players on the team may be new, or may be above average in skill. The following points describe the level of play that should be expected:
- Hard hitting is allowed, however, it must be done in a controlled manner. Players can anticipate that approximately 1 out of every 3 rallies will contain a hard hit. Players that hit hard should do so with respect and direct the ball at players on the opposing team that are capable/comfortable with receiving the hit.
- Typically there are 3 contacts made prior to returning the ball over the net to the opponent.
- Passes are not always crisp and accurate.
- Some blocking will occur.
- Players may have specific positions, however; for the most part teams do not have organized attacks.